At Schlesinger & Strauss, LLC, Gary Schlesinger and Michael Strauss understand that custody issues can be very confusing. There are many Illinois child custody and visitation terms that are foreign to people who are new to the matter. If you are struggling with a child custody or visitation issue, you can rely on our Illinois Family Law firm to guide you through the process.
To discuss your child custody concerns with a Lake County family law attorney contact our Libertyville law firm online.
Child Custody Information
Generally, child custody is the term used to define who is the decision-maker for the child. There are many other terms that individuals ask us questions about, including:
- Physical custody: physical custody refers to the responsibility of establishing living arrangements with the child and also controlling daily child care.
- Legal custody: legal custody refers to making decisions regarding education, health care and religious issues.
- Joint custody: joint custody refers to a relationship in which both parents share the custodial responsibilities with each other.
- Visitation: the individual without custody has what is called visitation rights. If the couple has joint custody, then there is no visitation because both parents are considered custodians.
- Custodians: the individual with custody rights is considered a custodian.
Schools often mention that someone has to be a primary residential parent. This is not true. There simply needs to be a parent with an address that the child will register for school from. You can rely on us to answer your questions regarding Illinois child custody terms and inform you of your options that will protect the best interests of your children.
Child Custody Vs. Child Support
It is important for clients to know that child custody is a completely separate issue from child support. You cannot deny another individual visitation because he or she is not paying support and you cannot stop paying support because someone denies visitation.
Contact Our Respected Child Custody and Visitation Lawyers
Contact the Illinois law firm of Schlesinger & Strauss, LLC, today. We can help explain child custody to you and develop a plan that will work for all parties involved.